Join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/CeUpmbC :icon_partyparrot_top:

3ds Max 2018

ZBrush, Marmoset, UE4, Photoshop, you name it! Whatever doesn't fit in above.
Swordslayer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 am

One more small fix that also made me happy: Repeat Last command in editable poly now supports more operations: for example, after bridging edges in 2017, Repeat Last did nothing, in 2018 it bridges current selection as expected.

And the completely reworked State Sets are now actually useful outside the rendering realm as well - and they are node based, so you can connect and unconnect pre-set options at any step in the hierarchy. It's especially useful as a fast custom material/AO viewport override - either global or using a set of objects/layers/dynamic object collection (clicking the arrow toggles the state on and off):

It's one of the things I'd suggest everyone to get familiar with (and at the same time one of the new features that was massively undersold during the release). And you can also have it docked over the commanpanel to make it accessible fast without cluttering the UI:

Incoming Signature in 3..2..1..
My Scripts :: MAXScript One-liners for Artists

Simon

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm

This are all so few things they could add to 2017 with an little update.

But EA is the same so whatever.

Chuck Wilson

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Swordslayer wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 am

It's one of the things I'd suggest everyone to get familiar with (and at the same time one of the new features that was massively undersold during the release). And you can also have it docked over the commanpanel to make it accessible fast without cluttering the UI:
Arent State Sets mainly used for rendering in 3DS Max? I dont render anything in Max that is PBR because of such poor results. So I am not sure how this would help my work flow.
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory

Swordslayer

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Rendering is the main use, sure, but they're definitely not limited to that. You can see that I didn't use the output nodes in the gif, you can use it to override object materials, properties, lighting etc based on numerous criteria and either using all objects/predefined set of objects/dynamic searches (wildcard or regex) or layers. That way, you get easy to setup and easy to modify one-click overrides - and you can combine them together. For example, you can have a preset using mapping checker texture (or multiple such ones, you're not limited by count) and toggle it on and off anytime, or a preset that overrides scene materials with some shiny material so you can better see how smoothed mesh behaves all the while keeping the material that's assigned to the objects - and you can either do that globally or pick a set of nodes and only their properties will get overriden.
Incoming Signature in 3..2..1..
My Scripts :: MAXScript One-liners for Artists

Chuck Wilson

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 am

Well maybe someday, seems to complicated for me, heck I cant make heads or tales of your gif so that will tell ya how far lost I am. :icon_confused:
My SketchFab
My YouTube Channel
:icon_onfire:
Xeon 12 core W3680 @ 4Ghz Hybrid Watercooled
EVGA 1070 8GB Hybrid Watercooled
Raid 0 840 Pro's
G.SKILL Ripjaws 24GB Memory

Tim
Site Admin

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Same for me :D :icon_redface: I appreciate it very much though and I hope to pick up on some of these more technical art related things in the future!

TheBoyOutside

Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 am

is there any chance someone knows how to resolve the submenu issue, where if i go to export (for example) and want to choose something from its submenu, it just dissapears.

this is happening with every submenu max 2018 has. not just export and ik solvers.
i have tried reinstalling max but still no change. :icon_tableflipper:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (253.72 KiB) Viewed 83 times

• Information